People, places and what triggers you to make faces

Sunday, April 22, 2012

The arsenic-laced Indian reviewer

The longer I live in India the more depressed I get. It's not that this isn't an interesting country, with fascinating people and gorgeous architecture and beaches and shopping and food, it's just that I need my basics. I need paved roads, uninterrupted electricity and water, efficient garbage collection – and an intelligentsia that's, well, intelligent. I am brimming with angst because I've been following the reviews of a new book and this is what I learned: Every Indian review was either ignorant, sitting on the fence, or came laced, like arsenic, with the reviewer's particular baggage. It was all about, in other words, the person reviewing the book, not about the book itself. I wondered if I was reading too much into it, whether I should give the reviewers the benefit of the doubt, and then the international reviews started coming in.
Every single one has been a rave.
Whether it was The Guardian or the TLS, whether they were personal blogs or reputed sites, every single non-Indian review has been a rave.
Every single.....have I made myself clear?
This is just sad. What does it say about us, writers, journalists, readers? It says that we are children, in the worst way children can behave. We are uncomprehending, unreasoning, spiteful – not to be relied on. Not to be relied on to read a book and give a critical, honest judgement on it so that others can decide whether they want to read it or not. How simple is that? And yet it is not something we can do.
So this means that we can never, until we grow up as a nation, believe anything anyone says in the Indian media about someone's book, someone's film, someone's designs, someone's art, a new restaurant, a mall, even a personality profile in the feature pages.
Yeah. I'm depressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment