People, places and what triggers you to make faces

Thursday, January 3, 2013

The human condition

Indian media. I'm just sad when I think about it. If you've been following the papers in the last 10 days, (which I try not to do but sometimes I'm pretty jobless), you would think all my countrymen have been doing recently is going on a raping spree across the length and breadth of this land. Minors, teenagers, older women who still have working parts (and really, isn't that all that matters), have been attacked, screams practically every Page 1. I beg to differ. My countrymen have certainly not been going mad in the last 10 days. My countrymen have been doing this FOREVER. Now, though, newsprint is spent on them. That's the only difference.
And why? Because Indian media likes to latch on to the easy catch; no struggling to land Moby Dick for them. If real stories mattered, every attack against a woman would have made it to Page 1. Every attack against a man or a child, for that matter. That's news, surely. What makes us, moves us, changes us, betters us, worsens us. What can be more exciting than the human condition? All news is humanity, anyway. It's the delinking of news from this, in favour of sales, that has spelt the downfall of newspapers in this forlorn country.
Right, enough angst. I'm off to see what's on Twitter.

No comments:

Post a Comment